Friday, January 18, 2013

The Art of the Green Smoothie

Eating healthy has always been a challenge for me.
 
I refer to vegetables as rabbit food.
 
I should probably own shares in Taco Bell and Arby's.
 
I have no understanding of portion control whatsoever-I eat like a 400 pound man.
 
and
I love my sugar.
 
Needless to say the biggest part of following up with my goals has been cutting out the bad and putting in the good. 
 
When I was a kid I made up an allergy to spinach. Anytime my mom would make me eat it I would cry and scream that my throat was itchy and burning and that I couldn't breathe.  My creativity got me out of eating Popeye's superfood for a solid few years until one day I forgot to "react".
 
This new craze of "green smoothies" had me thinking.  If I could just start drinking one of these monsters a day with my enemy spinach, kale, and some spirullina it might be a good start to getting some good stuff inside of me. 
 
 
 
 
 
I like to do a few things differently.  I add almond milk as my liquid and say that more is better!!!
I've found that pears counter the grainy taste that spirullina contains,
and that freezing your fruit when you buy it helps it be more of a smoothie-rather than chunky juice.
 
Throw in a couple blueberries, some strawberries, a banana, a pear, a couple rasberries, almond milk, kale, coconut oil, and some almond milk and hit the mix button!
 
 
BAM!!!! Solid serving of fruits, vegetables, healthy fats, and tons of energy!!!
 
It's been about a week since I've started this-haven't been feeling the daily cold symptoms of winter as much
AND
I'm starting to crave them!
 
 
I'm Dani, and this is my dysfunctional life.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment